The process of purchasing a very first home can be confusing and overwhelming. A topic that brings a lot of questions is home inspections. Below you’ll find answers to the most commonly asked questions and come to understand why home inspections are an invaluable tool for home buyers.
Home Inspection Questions and Answers
What is a home inspection?A home inspection is an evaluation on a home’s systems and components. This may include plumbing, heating and cooling, roof and drainage, and so forth. The inspection can bring to light problems that were not detected during the initial walk through of a home. It can give a home buyer a better understanding of the home they are purchasing. Keep in mind that a home inspection and an appraisal of a home are two different things.
Who performs a home inspection? In the state of Ohio a license is required to inspect homes. Many local home inspection companies exist here in Northeast Ohio. As a realtor I have worked with several and can offer recommendations to my clients as needed.
Why should I get a home inspection? A home inspection is a way for home buyers to gain knowledge about potential problems within the systems of the home they plan to purchase. As home buyers, we tend to have an emotional attachment making it quite difficult for us to be subjective enough to go on our own inspections alone. ho
Who pays for a home inspection? Unless it has been set up otherwise, usually the home buyers pay for the inspection. The cost is generally between $200-$400 but can save a home buyer much more money in the long run if problems are indeed detected during the inspection. (This is when you would work with your realtor to approach the sellers with a solution that satisfies both parties).
Should I be present during the home inspection? Yes. A home inspection provides an opportunity to learn more about your new home. The inspector will walk you through the home and explain the various systems as you go, as well as point out potential issues.
Home Inspection Benefits
- Flags any potential warning signs.
- Provides valuable information.
- Smart financial decision. May save money several ways- reduce price, ask sellers to make repairs, etc.
- Helps buyers plan ahead. An older house may need upgrades over time, an inspection can help shed light on which systems have immediate needs, and which ones will need work at a later time.
- Allows buyers to purchase with confidence. Buying a home is a big decision for anyone so it is important to have it evaluated first. We generally do not buy a car without test driving it, right? A home inspection is the best way to avoid buyer’s remorse. It helps buyers save money and gives them peace of mind.
Roberta Corrin is a Realtor in Northeast Ohio providing real estate services to home buyers and sellers in Stark County, Summit County, Carroll County, Wayne County, Holmes County, Tuscarawas County, and Coshocton County. Feel free to contact me, I would love to listen to your real estate needs!