Spring is almost here in Northeast Ohio. I’m a realtor here in Stark County, Ohio and if you’re located locally you know how brutal this winter has been! Below freezing temperatures and lots of snow can wreak havoc on our homes. So once Spring arrives, it’s smart to be prepared and take care of any problems that have arose over the past few months.
Indoor Spring Maintenance
- Spring Cleaning. Dust or wipe down woodwork, chair rails, cabinetry, ceiling fans, and window casings. Clean all windows, take down any window treats to be washed or dry cleaned, and wipe down or dust all blinds. Clean light fixtures and check for blown bulbs. Vacuum all upholstered furniture and mattresses. Deep clean kitchen appliances, wipe down back splashes, and sanitize all surfaces. Once you get to the bathroom you’ll want to spray down and scrub the shower with a mold and mildew bathroom cleaner, also clean the vanity, and woodwork, toilet, and floor. Check for damaged grout and repair as needed. Sweep the basement and knock down cobwebs, dust off appliances down there and clean glass block windows.
- Inspect for water leaks. Look for cracks in the concrete walls in the basement, check underneath sinks for wetness. Pay special attention to the dishwasher hot water heater, and laundry room areas looking for corrosion and cracks in hoses.
- Faucet Drips. As you inspect plumbing and get your spring cleaning done, be sure to handle any leaky faucets. Even the slightest drip can cost you big in the long run on your water bill.
Outdoor Spring Maintenance
- Yard. Remove any debris from your lawn including leaves, trash, and branches. Once everything is thawed you can work on getting your flower beds and landscaping in order. Be sure not to plant too early!
- Plumbing. Inspect outdoor faucets and sprinkler systems for leaks.
- Outdoor Equipment. Check mowers, trimmers, and hoses to ensure they are in good working order.
- Decks and Patios. Look for warped or splintered boards and repair as needed. Give your decks and patios a good cleaning. If moss or staining is found you should use a special cleaning agent to remove, just ask which products are safe for your deck or patio material at your local home improvement store. Take the time to stain and reseal your deck if needed.
- Outdoor Furniture. Give all of your patio furniture and deck items a good deep cleaning. Inspect for any loose screws or other problems and fix accordingly.
- Grills and Fire pits. Check for clogs or disconnected hoses in your grill. Deep clean and fill propane tank if needed. If your grill cover is cracked or in poor condition consider purchasing a new one. Inspect and clean any fire pits you may have as well.
- AC Unit. Change any filters, check for any hose connection leaks, vacuum away debris. If you suspect problems, call a professional to have the unit checked out before the intense heat arrives.